Tuesday, March 26, 2013

February Reflection

Just jumping in because otherwise it will never happen. I'm  using a springboard question from an NSTA forum as a model for this because it sounds good..

What went well in the past month1. I've gotten in one more unit than I did last year by TAKS. Last year I got through math review, kinematics 1-d, forces, energy, momentum and electrostatics. This year I've gotten through math review, kinematics 1-d, 2-d, forces, energy, momentum and circuits. There's a chance I'll get through another short unit before TAKS - have to decide which would be most beneficial.

2. The decision was made to switch circuits and electrostatics. The idea is that focusing on the more concrete/hands-on with circuits will help with the more abstract once we get to electrostatics. Additionally, the state exam is more likely to have a circuits question than an electrostatics question. While I haven't gotten to ES yet - and likely won't until after the exam - the circuits with an emphasis on math refresher for the upcoming unit seems to be going very well. Especially for Pre-AP. 

Make better for next year
I used the same basic series circuit inquiry lab for both pre-ap and regular physics. While I found it overall effective, it was overwhelming for my regular students and has taken up a lot of time. I want to revamp it for my regular students and add in reflection for pre-ap students. (Question: How do you grade reflection?) For the curious, the lab is from materials developed by  Steve Murray of Mr. Murray's Physics


Additionally, there's been a fail on the lesson-planning front. It's been in my head, but not on paper. The result is that horrible working-a-day-ahead thing that makes teaching so stressful and panic inducing.

Aside: One of my department head's pieces of advice my first year - received early in his career - was this: "Make two lists and keep them with you - One of things to do again, One of things to never do again. On second thought, you just need the second list!"[/i] 

Things for next month
Texas' TAKS is coming soon - April 24 for Science. I have a pretty good review setup that I've used the past 2 years. This year though, I'll be gone for almost a week due to the conference. One of my spring break goals is to revamp that exam review period using a menu-based strategy I found. I'm attaching it to this in case anyone wants to see it. I teach exit-level students and this is for 8th graders, but the idea, activities, shape of it all are good across the board

Yeah, that didn't work. Too much work for something that won't be used again. Instead, I'm using my old, revamped topic packets - thank you Patrick Haney. However, that menu is still a great idea. It is now a summer project for next year's EOC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment